Information for Landlords

If the property you are considering renting out is mortgaged, you must obtain consent from your mortgage lender prior to renting.
Some mortgage lenders request a copy of the tenancy agreement once the tenant has moved in A Wilson Estates can provide a copy of the tenancy agreement on written request from your mortgage lender.

All landlords are responsible for contacting their insurance provider so they may advise of any additional cover required.
Landlords are responsible for buildings insurance and insuring any of their own contents that are left in the rented property.
A landlord is not responsible for insuring a tenant’s personal property.

Irrespective of where you live Income Tax is payable on all rental income.  A landlord must declare rental income on a Self Assessment Tax Return. If you are not automatically issued with a Self Assessment Tax Return Form it is your legal responsibility to notify the HMRC.  You must under self assessment regulations keep records to ensure that the figures calculated on the returns are accurate.

Deductible Expenses

Deductible expenses that could be used to reduce profit derived from property income are:-
    •    Letting Agent Fees
    •    Insurance
    •    Ground Rent
    •    Repairs and Maintenance
    •    Loan Interest
    •    Legal and Accountancy Charges

Legislation regulating non – resident landlords and their letting agent greatly differs from resident landlords.
The rent receiving letting agent has a statutory obligation to deduct basic rate tax on income, and make payments to the HMRC quarterly.  You can as a landlord apply to the HMRC to self assess your own tax.  These application forms can be obtained from the HMRC.  Once you have received approval from the HMRC, A Wilson Estates will be authorised to pay you the rent without deducting the tax at source.

At some time during the rental of your property, repairs and maintenance may be required.  A Wilson Estates will notify you of these problems at the earliest possible opportunity.  You may choose to instruct your own qualified work person to attend to the repair required. If however you do not have your own contractors A Wilson Estates can instruct qualified experienced contractors on your behalf..
Most problems, repairs or maintenance can be resolved quickly, however if an emergency problem does occur and we cannot contact you, A Wilson Estates will authorise a contractor to carry out the necessary emergency work, to prevent unnecessary damage to your property through a delay in action.
It is important for you, your property and your tenant that all repairs are quickly resolved.
As a landlord it is important to remember that you have a statute obligation, as indicated in the Landlord and Tenant Act, to ensure that your property is well maintained.
Tenants do have rights, and if you fail to carry out necessary repairs they can contact the Environmental Health Department. Once the Environmental Health Department get involved they can implement an “Enforcement Order” which may include extra repairs and work required resulting in much higher costs to you.

It is important to remember the Furniture and Furnishings Regulation Act, when choosing items with which to furnish your property.

If you furnish your property prior to renting out, during the period of a tenancy if an item breaks, fails to work or develops a fault it is your responsibility and obligation to repair or replace the item.
If an item is deliberately damaged by a tenant through misuse or abuse, you can expect the tenant to have the item repaired or replaced at their own expense.

Unfurnished properties do tend to be the most popular choice for people looking to rent property.
Even though a property is unfurnished it is the norm for the landlord to ensure there is floor covering, a cooker and some form of window hanging  i.e. curtains or blinds provided in the property.

It is the Landlord’s responsibility to ensure ALL gas appliances, gas central heating systems and owned gas installation pipe work is inspected on an annual basis by a GAS SAFE registered contractor.
These regulations are put in place to ensure that all gas appliances are properly installed and maintained to a safe standard to avoid carbon monoxide emissions.

Accurate records of gas safety inspections must be kept on file, and certificates available for a tenant prior to the signing of the tenancy agreement.

From 1st October 2008 landlords offering property to let will be required by law to provide prospective tenants with an Energy Performance Certificate for their property.  A new certificate will not be required on each let since, in the case of rental property, EPCs will be valid for 10 years. The certificates (EPCs) will have to be provided free either when (or before) any written information about the property is provided to prospective tenants or a viewing is conducted. We have a database of registered energy assessors, and we will be pleased to arrange an EPC inspection and assessment on your property upon request.

From 1st April 2021, all properties to let are required to comply with the Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020. A registered electrical must complete an EICR report and any work required completed prior to a new tenant moving into the property. The EICR certificates are usually valid for 5 years.

A Wilson Estates strongly recommends that smoke alarms are fitted in all rented properties, and at least one on each storey of the property and carbon alarms within 2m of a solid fuel burning source such as a gas fire or boiler.

These alarms are easily fitted, should be checked regularly, and are inexpensive to buy.
They can and do save lives.

While a tenant resides in a residential property, they are responsible for all services e.g. Gas, Electric, Water, Council Tax, and Television Licence.

When the property is vacant i.e. between tenancies, these services remain the landlord’s responsibility.

A Wilson Estates notifies the Tenant(s) of the meter readings to avoid landlords or tenants being charged for unpaid services.

We advise all landlords that any equipment in the rented property i.e. washing machine, central heating system, ovens etc, are left with instruction manuals or clear details of how these appliances work.

Failure to provide these instructions may result in contractors having to attend the property to show the tenants how to use the equipment, which in turn will cost you, the landlord a call out charge.

Since 6 April 2007, all deposits taken by landlords and letting agents under Assured Shorthold Tenancies (ASTs) in England and Wales must be protected by a tenancy deposit protection scheme. Landlords and letting agents must not take a deposit unless it is dealt with under a tenancy deposit scheme. To avoid any disputes going to court, each scheme is supported by an alternative dispute resolution service (ADR). Landlords and letting agents can choose between two types of scheme; a single custodial scheme and two insurance-based schemes.
Learn more here:

If we are not providing our Full Management Service we will normally transfer the tenancy deposit to you within 5 days of receiving it.  You must then register it with a TDP Scheme within a further 9 days if the tenancy is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy.  If you fail to do so the tenant can take legal action against you the landlord in the county court.  The court will make an order that you must pay the deposit back to the tenant or lodge it with the custodial scheme which is known as the Deposit Protection Scheme (DPS).  In addition a further order will be made requiring you pay compensation to the tenant of an amount equal to three times the deposit.  You will be unable to serve a Section 21 Notice on your tenant until compliance with the above conditions, and the court will not grant you a possession order. We have no liability for any loss suffered if you fail to comply.

Legislation requires that certain information must be given to the tenant within 14 days of a deposit being taken. Whether you use the DPS, or the TDSL scheme, only some of the information is provided to the tenants by the scheme administration. The remainder must be provided by the landlord.

A special ‘Tenancy Deposit – Prescribed Information’ form has been designed for this purpose, and a copy is available from this agency.

It is very important that the form is completed fully and accurately, and that you attach to it a printed version of the relevant scheme’s Terms and Conditions. These can be downloaded from their respective websites on the following links, depending on which scheme you use:



In the case of the TDSL you should attach copies of both documents.

It is also important that under Paragraph 7 of the form you include the exact terms in the tenancy agreement that permit deductions from the deposit.

It is recommended that a signed copy of the form is given to each tenant individually. You should also retain a single copy signed by every tenant, in order to prove that the information has been given. So where there are say 4 tenants, you need 5 copies.

Be sure to comply with the above requirements fully and accurately, because penalties to the landlord for non-compliance are heavy.

Where we are providing our Full Letting & Management Service will will handle all of this for you as part of our service.


 (£75.00 + £15.00 VAT)
(£500.00 + £100.00 VAT)
  (10% + VAT)
(£50.00 + £10.00 VAT)
(£80.00 + £16.00 VAT)
(£65.00 + £13.00 VAT)
(£35.00 + £7.00 VAT)